When it comes to writing content, using the same words over and over again can quickly become repetitive and dull. That`s why many writers turn to synonyms to add variety and interest to their writing. However, when it comes to using synonyms, it`s important to remember the importance of agreement.
Agreement refers to ensuring that the words in a sentence match in tense, number, and person. When using synonyms, it`s important to make sure that the synonyms you choose agree with the rest of the sentence.
Here are some tips for doing agreement synonym correctly:
1. Consider the context: Before choosing a synonym, consider the context of the sentence. Does the synonym you`re considering fit with the rest of the words in the sentence? If not, it`s best to choose a different synonym.
2. Don`t change the tense: If you`re using a synonym to replace a verb, make sure that the tense of the synonym matches the tense of the original verb. For example, if the original verb is in the present tense, the synonym should also be in the present tense.
3. Keep the number consistent: If you`re using a synonym to replace a noun, make sure that the synonym has the same number as the original noun. For example, if the original noun is singular, the synonym should also be singular.
4. Pay attention to subjective pronouns: When using synonyms, it`s important to make sure that subjective pronouns like « he, » « she, » « they, » and « we » match the rest of the sentence. For example, if the sentence is written in third person, the synonym you choose should also be in third person.
5. Use a thesaurus: Finally, if you`re struggling to find a synonym that agrees with the rest of the sentence, try using a thesaurus. A thesaurus can help you find a word that has a similar meaning to the original word, but also agrees with the rest of the sentence.
In conclusion, using synonyms can be a great way to add variety and interest to your writing. However, it`s important to remember the importance of agreement. By following these tips, you can ensure that your writing is both varied and grammatically correct.